Sunday, July 24, 2016

Week 44

Well this week was alright. We didn't get done what I expected to because I forgot we had to go up to Canberra for training.

So Monday we went on the hike I said we would go on. It was alright. It wasn't what I expected, but it was still good. We found a rope swing that I will for sure get back to after my mission.

Tuesday we went and helped Debbie Parker and we also helped someone that was moving take their stuff to the dump.

Wednesday we did some indexing in the morning. So far I have indexed over 400 names since I have been in Merimbula. Then we went and taught Wendy. She had questions that we were able to answer, and she is spiritually sensitive, so that’s great. She said that she wanted to come to church, so we gave her the details and she didn't show up. She was busy that day. One of her friends was in the hospital and she felt she needed to be there for him.

Then Thursday we helped Josh Shoobridge move a shipping container, and then we went to Canberra for the meeting on Friday, then came home Friday night.

Saturday morning we went for a 5K run in Merimbula. I finished second in my age group with a time of 25 minutes, and we are starting to get to know everyone that does the run. There is about 50 people who participate. Then we went to a mountain bike club meeting to volunteer to time their next race. We have already gotten to know everybody in charge of organizing the race. One of them is Sam Parker who we later did service for that day. Then Sunday was just a normal day.

Some things that are coming up this week is today we are teaching Wendy again. Then we were brainstorming this awesome lesson for the members. So far it is really good I think. It starts out with a story.

A young and successful executive was traveling down a neighborhood street, going a bit too fast in his new Jaguar. He was watching for kids darting out from between parked cars and slowed down when he thought he saw something. As his car passed, no children appeared. Instead, a brick smashed into the Jag's side door! 

He slammed on the brakes and spun the Jag back to the spot from where the brick had been thrown. He jumped out of the car, grabbed some kid and pushed him up against a parked car shouting,  "What was that all about and who are you? Just what do you think you are doing?" Building up a head of steam, he went on. "That's a new car and that brick you threw is going to cost a lot of money. Why did you do it?"

"Please, mister, please. I'm sorry, but I didn't know what else to do!" pleaded the youngster. "I threw the brick because no one else would stop." Tears were dripping down the boy's chin as he pointed around the parked car. "It's my brother," he said. "He rolled off the curb and fell out of his wheelchair and I can't lift him up." Sobbing, the boy asked the executive, "Would you please help me get him back into his wheelchair? He's hurt and he's too heavy for me."

Moved beyond words, the driver tried to swallow the rapidly swelling lump in his throat. He lifted the young man back into the wheelchair and took out his handkerchief and wiped the scrapes and cuts, checking to see that everything was going to be okay. "Thank you and God bless you," the grateful child said to him. The man then watched the little boy push his brother down the sidewalk toward their home. 

It was a long walk back for the man to his Jaguar...a long, slow walk. He never did repair the side door. He kept the dent to remind him not to go through life so fast that someone has to throw a brick at you to get your attention.

And then we will share a scripture from (Doctrine and Covenants 61:3) "It is not needful for … mine elders to be moving swiftly … whilst the inhabitants on either side are perishing in unbelief."

Then invite them to look for unplanned service opportunities to serve their fellow man and to be an example. That’s what we got so far. I loved the story. I thought it was great. I know that sometimes we can be busy, but we need to slow down and look for those who stand in need and help them. I know that as we do so that the lord will help us out with our own trials and make it possible for us to help more and more people in our path. I hope that we all can be sensitive enough to hear the promptings of the spirit and let Heavenly Father guide our paths. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Well that was my week. I hope you have a great week ahead of you! I love you all and will talk to you next week.

Love,
Elder Newman

The rope swing on the hike. It goes out into a river that is close to the ocean so I don’t know if there are sharks.


Elder Plata feeding Sam Parker’s baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment